There are a million things I need to do today. Errands to run, phone calls to make, a three year old's teeth I need to brush, etc.
All that can wait just a second.
I want to talk about something.
I want to talk about how deeply disappointed I was in Christians yesterday.
It started innocently enough. And before you freak out that I am writing this again, I would like to give the disclaimer that my husband knows I am writing about this, we've worked it out, so please, no more mean words, guys. No more.
Sunday, my husband told me he doesn't know what I do all day. And it made me cry, because I've been busting my butt trying to do everything I can while still not lifting anything over ten pounds (broken that rule quite a few times, sorry doc). It's been challenging to be in a high risk pregnancy (again, NOT COMPLAINING! It's okay to admit it's been challenging).
I made a mistake though.
Apparently the BIGGEST mistake a wife can make.
I talked about it. How his words kind of made me feel like a failure.
And people told me I should be ashamed of myself. People told me they could no longer associate with me, that Jesus was disappointed in me and how can I call myself a Christian? Because I talked about having my feelings hurt. Because I admitted that my husband and I don't have a perfect marriage all the time.
Those three words hurt like hell.
Shame. On.You.
Guys, let's just all agree to stop saying that. Jesus gently convicts, he does not shame.
I felt like a failure.
I felt the shame.
So much shame.
I felt like I was four years old again, being told I was a naughty kid for taking one too many cookies.
It's the worst I've felt in a very long time.
I talked to Ben about this (I hadn't even told him his words had hurt me).
He apologized, said he never meant what he said, he was just being stupid.
I forgave him.
And then asked him if I should feel so much shame.
His response?
Sometimes, even Christians can be a-holes. Are these people true friends, or legalistic meanies?
Well, okay then.
Seriously though, I was so disappointed. Yes, I messed up. It's not okay to talk about marriage issues, I guess. I know that know. Shut my big fat mouth. Got it.
But the condemnation I recieved hurt more than anything my husband could say. Really.
I looked for the good in a painful situation. It came to me this morning.
As I was praying, I felt God nudge. "Angela, you don't have to be like that. This is how sinners feel. This is how many Christians treat sinners. Be the light shiner, not the shamer. They will know you're mine through how you show my love. You're stronger than someone's hurtful words. You are MINE. So chin up, kid."
It still stings.
By the way, my husband and I are great, thank you very much. He apologized and we went for a walk on the beach and got some fresh air. Sometimes that's the answer, ya know?
It'll be alright.
Peace and love, guys.
No comments:
Post a Comment