Saturday, June 15, 2013

Father's Day, a day early


He didn't want to be a dad when we started this crazy journey years ago. I distinctly remember telling him I couldn't be married to someone that didn't want a family.
So we tried. And tried and tried. For a couple years. Then in March of 2010 we got our little guy. He was (is) everything to us. One of my favorite memories is being bed bound in the hospital, hearing him tell his new boss "I can't come in this week. My wife just had our beautiful baby boy. She needs me." 
He may have been reluctant to become a father, but he took the job seriously from day one. I've never seen any man love their son the way he loves ours. He'd do absolutely anything for him. They are best friends, and have been from the start. I heard him telling our boy, when he was just a teeny little thing, "You're mom has some crazy ideas, but I'm really glad she had this crazy idea. You're pretty great."
This man and I have been through a lot. We don't have the perfect relationship. We've been an item since we were 17, and oh how we've both changed in the past 11 years. We have many differences, but the one thing we will always have in common is how much we love our kids. As we get ready to add another little boy to our family, I am excited to see this man I married become a father yet again. He's pretty good at it. 

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there that put in the grunt work, that love unconditionally, that wipe tears and boogers and muddy knees. You make the world a better place.

No comments: