This month has not been my favorite. Come on, March! Get here already!
This month Ben was told he is being laid off, we got a horrible stomach virus that resulted in a week without sleep and $500 worth of medical bills, and oh yeah, someone tried to take our identities and I had to put a freeze on our accounts for quite a while. I don't even want to get into the last one on here. Ask me in person. It was a nightmare and I found myself quite panicked.
Anyhow. The purpose of this post is not to complain (No really! It's not!). This post is about my husband of 7 years, significant other of 10.
Ben has been....discouraged. Obviously. He's been on many, many interviews only to not be called back. Or he will get called back and then it doesn't work out. We are not sure what is going to happen to our finances. I am contemplating going back to work (I did go to school in hopes that I'd actually USE my degree someday, but being a stay at home mom has been way more rewarding, so..I just.don't.know). The problem is, we live in the middle of nowhere. We have to work in different cities. We don't know. We've been praying. I've been praying.
I've been praying for our marriage.
And it's gotten better.
Pretty much all of my relatives have gotten divorced. At least once. I married Ben saying that I would never, ever consider divorce, but during some of our more challenging times I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't cross my mind.
The more stressful things get, the more irritated we end up with each other. We don't fight, we simply stop talking. Guys, this will kill a marriage. It will. Argue, get it all out, but don't.stop.talking. Please.
I promise this post ends well. I have been praying for my husband, and our marriage is better. He talks to me more. We argue a little more (remember, this can be good!). We went on a date for Valentine's day and even saw a movie. We are making an effort with one another and it's WORKING! The more I lift my husband up to the Lord, the more I see him the way God sees him. Strong. Diligent. Hard-working. Vulnerable. Sensitive. Beautiful. Yes, my husband still snaps at me sometimes and sometimes I just want to go for a run rather than tell him how I feel. It's life.
But we will make it. Finances are stressful. Health challenges and family challenges and security challenges are stressful. But God has reminded me that he wants the two of us to get through these times together. It's not romantic, it's not sexy, but it's real marriage. And we can do this.

2 comments:
Some of your most beautiful words, friend.
Looking forward to that walk!
Hope you see this before too much of your birthday has gone by...
Happy Birthday Angela!!
Love you, Dad!!
Post a Comment