Friday, December 21, 2012

Fruit Cake

Dear Gran,
It's silly that I am writing this letter. I know it's not for you, it's for me.
The truth is I miss you so much.
I've never had a Christmas without you in all my 27 years of celebrating Christmas.
Is there Christmas up in heaven? Oh I hope so. You love Christmas.
I was in Wal Mart the other night, and I saw the fruit cake. It made me cry. I hate fruit cake. But you, you got so excited about making it every year. Those things were so heavy. Everyone (but me) loved the fruit cake. I saw the Wal Mart fruit cake and it was a reminder that this Christmas, you're with Jesus.
I hope you are so happy. I know you are. It's heaven. Heaven is beautiful and wonderful and Jesus is there.
The truth is, I have your perfume and I wear it about once a week because it just smells like home to me. And by home I mean it smells like my Gran.
This letter is for me. I have been in a funk all December and I now know why.
I miss you, I love you, that hasn't changed.



No comments: