7 Years ago I was but a young woman. Not quite 21. 7 years ago I woke up (only having had an hour or two of sleep, because really, who sleeps the night before their wedding?), got my hair and makeup done, and transformed into a princess for a day (at least I FELT like a princess).
7 years ago, I remember feeling so nervous that my groom would not show up to the church. That he'd realize what a handful I was and do the sensible thing and walk away.
7 years ago today, I married my husband.
I naively thought (at the tender age of not quite 21) that marriage would be my happily ever after. That the fairy tales were true. That I was Cinderella, and this was it.
I was so wrong.
Marriage is work. A lot of work. And the trap we usually fall into is taking each other for granted. Assuming that we no longer have to try, because our relationship is a given.
I love my husband.
I'm not going to lie. This year has been the most challenging.
People all around us are breaking up. Money is ridiculously tight. We're stressed. We're tired. We have different parenting styles. We still have to figure out how to spend Christmas.
I have friends that are so ridiculously head over heals for their spouses, and they post all about it on just about every social media outlet.
I find myself wishing Ben and I could be like that. We're just not. We love each other, but it's a choice most days. Posting mushy pictures of he and I just feels....weird. I end up comparing my marriage to all the other marriages.
7 years later, we're still figuring it out.
Here's what I DO know: God put us together. God made us and our boy a family. God's with us, he's in this marriage, and I need to remember that when I start to worry.
I guess, in short, I'm just really very thankful.
1 comment:
Angela, I identify 100% with you! Marriage is a wonderful blessing and I love my husband very much but it is also a commitment that requires a constant denying to self. That is so hard! But, after 18 years of faithfully working it out, the benefits are worth it. I think marriage is used by God to refine our character :-).
As for public mushy posts...I'm not mushy either. Mark would probably keel over if I posted something like that because it's just not me! Sometimes I feel bad when I see those posts from others but hey, we're all wired differently! He knows I love him and that's what matters.
Happy Anniversary! The Lord will bless your commitment to the covenant you made before Him and give you and Ben the strength to walk through the hard times together.
~Beth Anne
Post a Comment