I found a video on my phone from Easter, when we went down to Tampa to see Gran and have lunch together. The video isn't anything special if you look at it. My boy is having an Easter egg hunt in Gran's backyard and my Gran is sitting on the bench, telling us about the egg hunt her church did for the kids. But I watched it last night and cried.
Here's the thing about that day. I wasn't in the best mood. I had been so worried over something that turned out to be nothing. But I let it consume me and could not seem to enjoy what should have been a special celebration and precious time together.
I let fear win that day.
If I could go back, I'd treasure every word my Gran said rather than focus on my worries. Worry has a way of robbing its host of what is most precious: the fleeting gift of a moment.
She taught me so much.
The big stuff and the little stuff, I learned it from her.
She taught me that hard work pays off. She worked her butt off as a single mother to provide for her children.
She taught me not to let grief win, but to stay strong. When she lost her son at age 15, she could have fallen apart. She didn't. She stayed strong for her girls.
She taught me to never marry a man that didn't love the Lord. I listened.
She taught me that an education is a gift no one can take from you. She was so proud of me for going to college. I must admit that part of the reason I stuck with it is simply to make her proud.
She taught me that the most beautiful place on earth is on top of a mountain.
She taught me that black tea is the tastiest drink there is.
She taught me that you don't have to like everybody, but you do have to love them.
She taught me that an old sock makes a wonderful cleaning tool.
She taught me to laugh. Laugh at the good stuff, and have a sense of humor about the not so good stuff. Laughter helps a lot.
She taught me the importance of family.
She taught me how to use a coffee maker.
She taught me how to get through miscarriages and come out okay.
She taught me the importance of good southern manners. Yes ma'am, no sir, please, and thank you.
She taught me not to be afraid of Heaven.
She taught me love.

2 comments:
And her legacy will live on when you teach those to your precious son. So thankful your Gran was God's sweet gift to you!
It's an amazing thing to have such a great person in your life.
Post a Comment