Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Walk

Today I walked with a friend. We walked the mall, both of us maneuvering strollers and fixing juice boxes for our two-year-olds and one of us belly swollen with a new child on the way. And the other finally content with being so very not pregnant. She's probably my best friend. We met when I was 8, she 9. At a meeting our moms were attending on how to home school. I remember this skinny little girl called out to me: "Hey, I'll share my markers with you". And we became best friends. We've been through a lot in 19 years. Some of it comical, some of it cringe-worthy (I may or may not have taken at least one of her boyfriends back in the day. Yes, I am shaking my head at my 16 year-old self too) and some of it life-changing- we were both pregnant at the same time, both up at three am nursing newborns and talking with one another, both wearing our hearts on our sleeves with love for our children. 

She's got a lot on her plate. Don't we all? I mean, if we're really going to be honest? She's got two beautiful children, one on the way. I have no idea how I am as tired with one child as she is with three. But anyway. She opened her heart up to me today, told me how I could best pray for her. And tears formed in my eyes, right in that mall. I wanted to tell her I would fix everything, that I could tell her all her worries were for nothing and that all would be perfect. But that's not how life is. I know, because worry is my main struggle. A lack of trust is what keeps me up at night. How do I counsel a worrisome friend when I am going through fear right along side her? I was honest and told her I wasn't the best at taking my own advice. That there are days when I just don't measure up to my own unrealistic standards. That's where Jesus comes in. Because the best of our standards is still nothing compared to his unfailing, all covering grace.
I am so thankful for my friend, someone who trusts me to pray for her and to encourage her on this journey. She's one of my favorite blessings. 

No comments: