Monday, April 9, 2012

My Legacy

I've never really cared much for the term "legacy". To me, it seems a little cheesy, an unnecessarily dramatic word. But I find myself thinking of this word often as I navigate through this season of my life. I just finished reading The Resolution for Women by Priscilla Shirer. A birthday gift to myself, I had hope that this book might encourage me as I try and live my life without worry, envy, or discontentment. This book was one that changed my life, at least a little bit. I finished it just today and already I am finding myself putting into practice what I gained through this book. It stresses the point that we leave a legacy to our children. What we do, what we say, our every step is monitored by our little ones. I have always known this, but I appreciate the reminder. It got me thinking about what my legacy will be. I pray that my son sees me as strong, as someone that loves the Lord and chooses faith over fear. I am not there yet. I am working, day after day, to replace worry with faith in my savior. I do this for my son. For my family. It's important. I also strive for my son to see me as thankful. Grateful for everything my God has blessed me with. I keep a gratitude journal, and someday, years in the future, I will give it to my son. A lot of my prayers to God are about him. Mainly, how thankful I am to be his mother. How honored I am. 
I hope to leave a legacy of love. Of hope. Of perseverance. Of faith. Of integrity. Day by day, and only with God's help, I am inching toward that goal.

2 comments:

Lis said...

One step closer to the legacy that God has written for you. Keep up the growth, Logan will always thank you for the legacy. After all, you are modeling what a woman after Gods heart looks like-and he won't settle when it comes to choosing a wife!

Secrets of Midnight said...

You are such a strong and iron-willed woman. Your son is growing up in a surrounding that shows him only love and respect and the ability to overcome obstacles. Many are not able to have this in their life and he will be an amazing person from the way you love him. Continue on.