Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

If you looked in our house today, you would not be able to tell that it's Valentine's Day. There are no flowers, no cards, no candy ( and truth be told, I am not supposed to be eating sugar, so that's okay). We decided not to celebrate. It was a mutual decision, made because bills are high and we don't need more stuff sitting around the house. But even though it was a mutual decision, it feels a little lame. We're not a mushy couple. Never have been. When we started dating nine years ago, I felt bad about even holding hands in public because I didn't want to make all of the single people sad (this is where you roll your eyes and say "Oh, Angela"...lol). When I woke up this morning, I was a little sad that we weren't going to use this day to tell each other how we feel. But I know we love each other. I married someone that is not showy, doesn't feel the need to prove himself. But there have been numerous times when his actions have indeed reassured me of his love. 
~Valentine's Day, 2005- Our two year dating anniversary. He bought me tires for my car. I cried because I thought he was telling me I was like one of the guys to him, that I didn't need pretty things, just tires. But looking back, I realize he was concerned for my safety, that he was doing it because he loved me. 
~March, 2005- Coming home from a long day and seeing roses and a beautiful Coach purse wrapped up really pretty. I had told him how I secretly never thought I would ever have anything so nice. He told me that I deserved nice things just as much as any other girl. I cried. 
~July, 2005- At a rainy day at a little Maitland park, he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. 
~May, 2008- Roses and a sweet card on our dining room table congratulating me for getting my Bachelor's Degree. In the card he told me he was proud of me and to follow my heart. 
~July 2009- The look on his face when I told him we would be having a baby. I will never forget his reaction, ever. One of the best days of my life. 
~March 2010- Hearing him call his boss from the hospital. "I'm not coming in this week, my wife just had our beautiful baby boy" Sweet words. 
~Every day since then- Hearing him tell our boy that he has the prettiest momma in the world. Worth more than all the roses in the world to me.

Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, he does have the prettiest momma in the world!
:D

Happy Valentine's to you, sweet girl!