Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I've typed many posts over the past week or so and for one reason or another, haven't felt like posting them. Too personal, I felt they'd be better written out in my prayer journal. 
I had a thankful Thanksgiving. How fitting. Sure, there was the usual drama that comes from extended family gathering in one house (ours, this year). So and so didn't want to sit next to Aunt Sally (I have no such aunt, but you get the idea). For a while, I was trying so hard to please everyone. I kept trying to remember each relative's little quirks, dislikes, and so on. It was exhausting. Finally I came to the conclusion that no amount of complaining from anyone else could squash my thankful spirit. I asked each guest to say one thing they were thankful for. I wanted to remind everyone why we were all there, celebrating. My favorite answer came from my husband: I am thankful for my wife and son, he said. Just what I needed to hear. 
As this year comes to a close, I can't help but look back and realize that I am not the same scared little girl I was in January. Life isn't any less hard, but my attitude is so different. I do not have to be afraid of the future, I do not have to be jealous of those that seem to be more blessed (it's not true anyway, we're all blessed if we only choose to open our eyes and hearts). I do not have to be sad about things I can't change. God simply asks me to give thanks in all circumstances, because all is grace (Thank you for this beautiful lesson, Ann Voskamp!).  I am so thankful that when I wake up every morning, I have peace in my heart. Peace that comes from doing what I am called to do. I have never felt so abundantly blessed. My prayer is that each one of you can feel such joy. 
Merry Christmas, loves.

2 comments:

tara said...

Angela, you are amazing. Thank you for sharing this. <3

Mrs said...

Amen and AMEN! How can we not be thankful? Each day, each breath is a gift. God is so good and gracious!