Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I don't understand certain things. Everything was going wonderfully with my pregnancy. Wonderfully. Tons of morning sickness, a clear heartbeat on the ultrasound, a tiny but fully formed new life inside my womb. 
And then yesterday happened.  
L and I were getting ready to go to a play date when lots of fluid came out of me. I was taken aback and called my midwife. She said I needed to go get to the lab right away or I needed to go to the hospital. My only two choices. 
I thought everything was probably fine, and I was worrying over nothing. Still, I called Ben to come home, and he did, so that he could accompany me and help with L. 
In the waiting room, he and I were complaining over the cost of another ultrasound. We still didn't know. 
When my turn came, I saw my beautiful baby girl up on the screen. Fully formed and so tiny. She had a beautiful little profile. The sonographer said barely a word. So unlike last time. She could no longer find a heartbeat. I didn't understand. She told me to go wash up and then call my midwife. That's when I knew. There was no movement on the screen. Just stillness. I cried, and hugged my boys. 
I got to the car and called my wonderful midwife. She said "Angela, do you know what's going on?". I did, but I said no. I didn't want to know. She said that the pregnancy ended two weeks ago, and we didn't know it. I've been walking around thinking everything was fine, maybe just feeling a little sicker than I thought was normal. I cried. She asked me who was with me and I told her my husband. She said to put him on the phone. 
She prepped Ben for what will most likely happen in the following days. I have read the books, so I know it is not easy losing a pregnancy this far along. I was just about to reach the second trimester. I would be 12 weeks next week. 
I am bracing myself for what's to come. It will be painful, not just emotionally but physically. 
I don't know why this happened to us, but I know that I can be strong. I have to be strong, because it's the only option you get as a mother. 
People have been so kind. It's hard to know what to say when a miscarriage takes place, and maybe there's no one right answer. But my friends and family have lifted me up, prayed for me, and told me that I am strong. And that's what I need right now. So thank you. 
If any woman is reading this who has suffered a miscarriage, my heart goes out to you and I pray that our heavenly father wraps you in his loving arms. He loves you, and he loves me, and he weeps with us. 
God bless you, friends.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet friend,
I weep with you over the indescribable loss of your baby girl. You were in my prayers upon waking today, and you will continue to be in my prayers always,

Love and hugs,
Jess

Mrs said...

Can't stop thinking of you and loving you. Grieving with you.

tara said...

I love you.

Anonymous said...

Angela, I'm so sorry! I cried the whole way through reading that. I know you're strong, and you can and will get through this, but it's okay not to feel strong about it too. If you need anything at all, please call. You know we're just a few minutes away. Love you!
Leetra

Foxy said...

I'm so sorry Angela! Just as God knew her before she was formed, so did you! You knew her by name and loved her so much! That will never go away! She will never be forgotten! Hugs and kisses my friend!

Laura said...

That pain is familiar to me. I was 16 weeks when we lost Jamie.
I am so sorry.
I will do anything I can to help you. I understand most likely what you need most is prayers and you can know that you will get plenty from your friends and family.
I am so sorry for your loss.
Love, Laura