Monday, October 17, 2011

Beautiful

I don't want to make any assumptions, but I am pretty sure most women want to feel beautiful in one way or another. I am reading a wonderful book by John and Stasi Eldredge (Captivating) and it sheds light on the fact that not only are women just as wonderful in God's eyes as men, but that we were actually his crowning moment in creation. Powerful stuff, no? I never, ever had thought of us that way. Sometimes as followers of Christ we are taught that outward beauty is not at all important, that it's what's in our hearts that matters. True, very true, God looks at our hearts first and foremost. But guess what? It's okay to want to be attractive. The danger comes when we put it first, when we care more about it than what our hearts look like. Why am I talking about this first thing in the morning? Well, if we're being honest (and you can't have a pretty heart without being honest :), I have been feeling a little self-conscious lately. It's superficial. I get that. I also get that I am a woman and sometimes I just want to feel pretty. 
The thing is, I pledged to thank God for everything, even the flaws that I dislike on myself. So here's how I put a positive spin on things these days: 
~ I can be thankful for breakouts. For the last two plus years, I have been pregnant, nursing, and pregnant again. That means hormones. Lots of hormones. To me, hormones equate to breakouts. They just do. And I get really embarrassed by them. But I can thank my creator for giving me the biggest desire of my heart, a family. And if that means I have to have a few breakouts, well then praise God I have a constant reminder of how wonderfully God is blessing me. I mean it. I'm thankful ( and I'm also thankful for cover up!:). 
~ I have...not so great teeth. I get them cleaned twice a year, I brush three times a day, I floss, I use mouthwash, I drink water. But I still have stains. And sometimes I feel very unattractive due to this. But, I can thank God. I enjoy drinking tea every morning. It's my "me" time, and always will be. So maybe my stains can be a reminder that every day, God blesses me with a little pocket of enjoyment, in the form of my favorite hot tea. 
~I have gross feet. I have broken so many toes ( I am a bit clumsy) and well, my feet look funny. But I can thank my God for blessing me with energy, for feet that like to go places and not sit still. Feet are a blessing. 

I could go on, but I think you get my point. I don't always feel beautiful, but I should. The truth is, God gave me this body, and I am on my knees thankful that He did. To Him, I am beautiful, and so are you. And that's what matters. 

Have an incredibly beautiful day, friends. 

 

No comments: