I am super excited about the prospect of an all natural birth for my little one. I visited a beautiful birth center on Monday, and I instantly felt at home. Sure, I was still nervous ( they were about to confirm my pregnancy, after all!) but the whole place was beautiful, with a very serene environment. They had baskets of toys for older siblings, and they told me I am welcome to bring my little guy to every appointment! My midwife is so different than the handful of OBs that handled me with my first pregnancy. In a hospital environment, I felt I had no control (and I didn't!). A midwife strives to give the mother as much control as possible. One of the first questions my midwife asked me was how I felt about my first birth. I leaned in and whispered to her that I was still a little shaken up over it, that it was very scary and that I was hoping for a much calmer experience this time. The biggest hurdle at a birth center is the fact that I won't be able to have an epidural, but I'm okay with that. Though I had an epidural last time, it wore off hours (yes, I said hours) before I could even push. It was just that kind of birth. I felt EVERYTHING, and it's true what women say about it being the worst physical pain you can experience. But I can do this. I am still in awe over the miracle of this pregnancy, still taking things day by day, still thanking God for all of it, nausea included. Oddly, I am having much more nausea with this pregnancy. Not that I am complaining. I am very thankful for it, it's constant reassurance that God is at work, doing something awesome!
Have a blessed Wednesday, everyone!
4 comments:
I never had epidurals. Does the birthing center give any injections at all? I had nubain. Live it. Love it. ;-) Felt everything, but was able to stay in control and relax completely between contractions.
22 years later and I still remember. I pray God will replace your first memories with much better ones! I still remember YOUR labor and delivery - ridiculous lack of compassion. =(
The birthing center can't give anything, not even Tylenol to my understanding. But they do offer hypnobirthing classes (basically breathing techniques), water births, and all of those natural tools to keep things moving along.
Ang: You are a braver person than I! I could never do it all natural! I did however, have a midwife who delivered Eryn and I loved her! She was there from 8:00am until I delivered at 3:36pm and stayed until they moved me into my room. I know my dr. wouldn't have stayed by side that entire time.
I would love to do a water birth, but not sure that I could actually do w/o an epidural...I am such a baby when it comes to pain.
As for hypnobirthing, there is a mom in the group you can talk to about it. I believe her son weighed 9lbs and she did the hypnobirthing and gave natural birth. Said the hospital tried to send her home b/c she was so calm that there was no way she could be in labor.
Whatever you decide to do, just remember, this is YOUR experience and don't keep your mouth shut about what you want and how you want it.
You can do it! Because I mean, if I can, anyone can. :-) The hypnobirthing classes really did help, even though I was sort of skeptical going into it. (And I didn't even get to go to the last two classes, because he was born first! :-)
Post a Comment