Thursday, May 5, 2011

National Day of Prayer

Looking through my day planner earlier, I discovered that today is National Day of Prayer. I never really understood what this was all about as a kid, mainly because I was just paying attention to other things and never gave much thought to it. I woke up this morning feeling a little discouraged. A phone call last night left me feeling as though my prayers were not being heard, that I should stop having hope that this particular situation should change. But that's not what God wants from me. No, friends, I am encouraged today to pray all the harder. I was making a list of all of the times God has answered prayers for me. Some are way too personal to share, but here's a few that have meant a lot to me. 

1. I prayed for Ben to be my husband. Yep. When we started dating at the ripe old age of 17, I was hurting. A lot. I won't share why, but I did pray that God would send me someone that would love me. And wow, did He. As my relationship with Ben progressed, and time went on, I started realizing that I could love this guy forever. He wasn't perfect (I wasn't either) but he was clearly the right match for me. So I prayed that I could someday marry him. Three years after our relationship began, we became husband and wife. I don't thank God nearly enough for blessing me with a partner that loves me unconditionally. I am blessed. 

2. I prayed for my son. I started praying for a child in 2005 when Ben and I got married. I longed, with every ounce of energy I had, to become a mother. I knew, I KNEW, that I was supposed to have children. It was a long, painful, uphill struggle to get pregnant, but on July 20th, 2009, I learned that I was going to be a mother. My sweet son was born the following March. Every time I look at my child I am reminded that God loves me enough to give me the desires of my heart. I pray that I can give Logan a sibling or two, but I leave this up to God. He knows the future of my family, and if I'm supposed to have more kids, I will. No need for me to get all worried about it. 

3. I prayed for my brother to have a wife. I love my big brother more than I could ever say. He's always been my friend. Back in 2008, he was going through an incredibly difficult time, in the hospital with health issues. I started praying for him to have someone to be with him through life's difficulties. No kidding, that week his future wife showed up at the hospital and has not left his side. They married in 2009 and have a beautiful baby boy. 

4. I prayed that I could graduate college. I always wanted to have my Bachelor's degree, mainly because I wanted to set an example for my children. So many times I felt like I wouldn't make it through, that I would fail. But by the grace of God, I graduated with a 4.0 in the spring of 2008. 

God has answered many more of my prayers. My point to all of this is simple. Sometimes it feels as though God isn't listening. But He is. Friends, He loves us. He knows what's best for us. We just have to keep trusting that He knows what He's doing.


Happy Thursday, friends.

1 comment:

Mrs said...

He knows, He knows, He knows.

I'm so glad YOU know that He knows. =)

(I'm glad I know that, too!)