As I prepare to give birth to my sweet boy in the upcoming weeks, I have been getting some more comments on our decision for me to stay home with Logan while he's young. Yes, Ben lost his job and we are searching day in and day out for him to find a new one. I have absolutely no problem with working. I have always taken great pride in earning a paycheck and contributing to society in my own little way. However, my child is more important to me than any paycheck. When Ben and I were trying for Logan, we agreed that we would not put him in daycare unless we would starve or otherwise be without a home. As someone that has worked in an infant daycare facility, I have witnessed firsthand so many things I don't want my child to be exposed to. I know many women do not have the option of staying home with their baby. I may not have that choice someday. We have been praying fervently that God will provide a way for me to watch Logan during the day. I had a relative tell me yesterday that I was setting a bad example for my son by not going back to work right away. I have to disagree with her. Since getting pregnant I have noticed just how many different opinions people can have on the "right way" to raise a child. Yes, they need financial stability. Yes, I very much see the need for the mother to have something in her life besides her family. I get all of that. That's the main reason I stayed in school until I earned my degree. I wanted to someday be able to be an example for my kids, and to tell them that if I could do it, they can do it too. A huge lesson that I have been learning is that I cannot take the opinions of others and let them form how I see myself as a person. I know who I am in Christ. I know who I am as a wife, and I will soon find out who I am as a mother to my sweet boy. Although some women may vehemently disagree with my choice to keep my child out of daycare, I must do what my husband and I feel is the best choice for our family. If that earns me some disapproving commentary, so be it.
P.S. A big thanks to Mrs. for her post this morning! I very much needed that :)
4 comments:
I have always been so thankful that my mom hasn't had to work since I was born. It has helped me build a better relationship with her since she's always around! :)
And remember, he's YOUR baby, so raise him they way YOU think is best. ;)
Oh, Angela . . . you're not WATCHING Logan, you're MOTHERING him. It's your highest calling as a woman. This is what GOD says, not me.
And why can't family be everything to a woman? There's no deeper, more fulfilling role when embraced fully. Does this mean you don't stay on top of current events? Does this mean you don't continue to learn and grow? Heavens no! How would that serve your family?
So many have the misconception that by staying home, you're dropping into a hole of nothingness, diapers, and boredom. The times I have felt the pull of the world are the times I have felt the most discontent. The times I have embraced this role completely are the times I have felt the most alive! Thank God that was more often than the other!
Logan is one fortunate little boy to have you for a mommy and Ben for a Daddy. And I GUARANTEE, girl, that as long as I am on this earth you will neither starve nor lack a roof over your head, though I'm sure I must stand in line behind others who love you.
Logan IS your full time job.
How wonderful.
Wow. I look up to you so much, Angela, in yet another way!
I'm so proud of you, and I can't wait to see how you fill your new role as a mommy! :D You're going to be awesome!
P.S. Thanks for talking out loud and sorting through this; I feel like it gives me a head start. :)
Thank you, ladies, for your encouraging words! They really do lift me up :)
Post a Comment