Saturday, September 26, 2009

Germs

I think I might just be a germaphobe. Well, maybe not a full-fledged germaphobe, but I am more aware of germs than I have been in a long time. Because I am pregnant, I am susceptible to a lot of yucky illnesses. Just this week I came in contact with two different people who now have the H1N1 virus (swine flu). I didn't know they had it at the time, or I never would have gotten anywhere near them. I have been praying more than ever before, that's for sure! I trust God to keep this baby healthy and to keep me healthy as well. But I have also made some changes to better my chances of staying well. I started cleaning my house better. Did you know that the average computer desk has more germs than a toilet seat? Disgusting. I have become a big fan of Green Works wipes. I use them in the kitchen, I wipe the door nobs with them, etc. I am trying to stay away from harsh chemicals as much as possible, mainly because I can't stomach the scent very well.
At work, I am constantly washing my hands. I come into contact with so many kids, and have gotten sneezed on more than a few times. I know I can't stay completely germ free, but I can try to stay as sanitary as possible.
I've also been trying to eat things that will boost my immune system. I've become an avid label reader, and I keep a chart of what I eat and how it is helping me. I like to keep things organized, just in case you couldn't tell :)
I know in my heart that no amount of cleaning or healthy living can compare to how God is protecting my child, and I am so thankful that things are moving along so quickly.
15 weeks on Monday! Woohoo!

3 comments:

Mrs said...

I'm a big hand washer, and I manage to stay the healthiest in my family. I also use the wipes at the grocery store to wipe the shopping cart before I use it, and I carry hand sanitizer in my purse!

Nope, you're definitely not alone! Praying for your protection from the flu exposure. =(

About Me said...

I know I'm a bit of a germaphobe, but I see some disgusting stuff at work that makes me want to keep myself more clean. I would highly recommend Bath and Body Works hand sanitizer! They smell good and disinfect your hands!

Unknown said...

I don't blame you one bit! You've someone else to look out for, too! Yes, God ultimately does the protecting, but all your precautions definitely help!

I'll also pass along Tyler's word of advice (doesn't ever seem to work for me, but does wonders for him!): DON'T get sick!
(I'm serious. He somehow manages to live his life by that mantra while eating canned ravioli and snack pudding! I eat oodles of veggies and always get sick. Go figure!)