We're in the home stretch. Our baby boy could be here any day. At my appointment on Friday I got some encouraging news that my body had already done some of the work dilating, effacing, and just getting ready for birth. I was so proud! My body knew what to do this time, and all the pain I had been feeling was serving a purpose!
Fast forward to today. Still stuck at two centimeters. Still in a lot of pain (I really did forget that the last week or so of pregnancy HURTS. The cramping, the backache, the all over aches and pains that you block out after your baby is in your arms). I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little discouraged. True, some women go from 0 to pushing in a day. My body prefers to do things gradually.
With my first labor, I learned that you have to give in to the pain. The contractions hurt, yes, but they serve a purpose. Every wave is one step closer to holding that baby on the outside. If I tense up, if I loathe the pain and let the fear in, my body will tense up and stop progressing. The pain has a purpose, and what I CAN do is work with it.
I've been walking, exercising on the birthing ball, and taking the suggestions of my midwives (they want to help, which I appreciate). Every day I wake up I am one day closer. The pain is a little worse, but the end is a little closer.
My goal is to do this naturally. No pitocin, no epidural, nothing but me giving birth the way I didn't get to last time. I want to do this. I need to do this.
I'm keeping busy every day. Though moving around is painful, it does help pass the time. My house has never been cleaner, I'm having dance parties with my three year old, and I'm working out like it's my job.
Though this last stretch seems like an eternity, I know it's just a tiny portion of what's to come. I am so excited to meet my boy. Whenever that may be :)
No comments:
Post a Comment