Friday, March 30, 2012

You know what I love? When a friend knows you well enough to buy you a book on something you're struggling with, and quietly whispers to open it later, after all the guests have gone home.
One of my sweetest friends bought me a book on worry. She was worried (there's that word again) that it might be too forward of her, but it touched my heart. I've been reading it diligently every chance I get, and I am being blessed by the words I read. I am learning that worry comes from a need to control. Control every circumstance, control what others think of me, control what really is impossible to control. We try to control because we think we can do things better than Jesus can. How silly. And yet, I have to remind myself daily that I AM NOT IN CONTROL. And that that is in fact a good thing. 
I have always disliked Jonah from the Bible. He just always seemed like a grumpy guy, upset because he couldn't control the outcome of what God was asking him to do. But the more I read, the more I am convinced that I see a lot of myself in this guy. I feel fearful and worried when God asks something of me that may be out of my comfort zone. When the results may lead me to have to trust him even more. Me, trust? Oh is that a hard one. I haven't really ever trusted anyone. But through working through my worries (oh, there are so many!) I see that trusting my savior is exactly the right cure. The more I trust him, the less I need to try and control every scary possible scenario. Yes, this world is an ever changing, often scary place. But I am thankful that my God is bigger than this world.



God met me more than half way, he freed me from my anxious fears. 
Psalm 34:4 The Message

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know. I've never much liked Jonah either. But if I'm honest, I see very similar patterns in my own life that I dislike. Thankful that God is in the business of changing hearts and changing lives!

Love you, sweet friend!

tara said...

You are amazing. Worry is such a hard thing to deal with and overcome. Trusting God is so scary, and yet it's the only way to go. I'm learning it constantly too. About some different things.. but I definitely relate to what you said. I love you.