Back in March, my dear friend Jessie gave me a book. I was excited to get it, but I must admit, when I started reading it, I was just not ready for it. The first couple of chapters spoke of the author's heartache growing up, and I just wasn't in a place where I could read about it. A week ago, I noticed the book on my dresser and decided to give it another try. I am not exaggerating when I say it has changed my outlook on life! I think everyone should go read "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. It is flat-out amazing. Basically, if you struggle with fear, doubt, worry, discontent, bitterness, pride, or any other human emotion, you should read this. With the help of this book, I am learning that God works in us through our thankful hearts. He shows His love to us when we are fully aware to the fact that though He owes us nothing, He gives us everything. Everything! It's amazing. I am making my own list of one thousand gifts. I am only up to 200 and I am already changed. Case in point. A huge, scary, ridiculous medical bill came on Saturday. One that has already been paid. A medical bill that has eaten our savings, terrified us for fourteen months, and keeps popping up. My first reaction was sheer fear. My thoughts consisted of "OMG, we're finished. May as well sell everything and cut our losses". Okay, I am a tiny bit dramatic sometimes :). I showed the bill to my solid as a rock husband (thank you, Jesus for this man!) and he had a reaction that made my heart go pitter patter. He got all angry and said "They are harrassing you, babe. You've paid what you owed, you've tried talking to them, you don't worry about this any longer. I will take care of this". He is calling them today to straighten things out. I of course had to add to my list #201: A husband that protects, loves, provides, and stays strong for his family. So now, in a weird way, I am thankful for that gross bill. It was a chance for me to practice what I have been reading about.
Admittedly, some of the things on my list are just things. #101: sunscreen. #29: No spill sippy cups. #99: Seeing robins while out on walks. But really, life is made up of awesome little things that are in fact little gifts from above.
I am going to keep making my list. I encourage everyone to make one of their own. You'll be glad you did.
2 comments:
Great Blog post. I am going to try to get that book! I smiled at #201- you probably could have listed it was #201-203!!! I'm glad God gave you Ben!
I think making a list like that sounds like a great idea. I'm going to start mine today!
Thanks for your willingness to share what God's doing in your life- your transparency ministers to others.
~Laura
So glad you like the book! I need to re-read it!
Post a Comment