Monday, March 1, 2010

The Long Awaited Month Is Here

Today begins the start of a month that I have been looking forward to with all of my strength since July 20, 2009, when I found out I was pregnant. Happy, happy March.
I have always loved March. As a kid, I loved it because it was the time when I turned a year older. As a college student, I loved spring break, which always occurred in March. And as a teacher, I loved that the kids got spring break :-)
Looking back at the past 37+weeks, here is what I have learned about life, love, God, women's bodies, and more:
- God WILL give you the desire of your heart, but in HIS perfect timing. Ben and I waited two and a half years for little Logan to come into existence, but God knew him all along. We just had to trust that God would bless us when the time was right.
- When you spend a whole week crying over just how much you hate that your husband wants to spend all of his time fishing, and it makes you so sad that all you want to do is stay in bed and mope, you might be pregnant.
- Your husband will know you are pregnant before you have any idea. He will notice weird behavioral changes before you know anything is out of the ordinary.
- The moment you see those two pink lines on a test will be right up there with the most memorable ones of your life.
- Waiting in the OB/GYN office at that first visit will be incredibly scary, right until they tell you that you are pregnant and the tests didn't lie.
-Your baby's heartbeat is absolutely the most beautiful sound. You WILL cry.
- Everyone reacts differently when you share your news. Most will be elated, some will be surprised or even shocked, and some say off the wall comments because they don't know what to say. All are normal.
- You will find yourself praying more often than ever once you are expecting. Suddenly the world can seem like a very scary place.
- You will think you have a belly before you actually have a belly.
- You will get crazy, out of this world hair, and it will fall out every night in the shower and all over your husband's car. This may irritate him a little.
- You will suddenly find yourself drooling over babies in general. They instantly become so much cuter.
- Men treat you very differently. Some go out of their way to be helpful, and will open doors, etc. Some will avoid you like the plague. And still others will just act creepy, asking if they can touch your belly and come to your baby shower ( um, no ).
- There is no such thing as being financially ready for a child. You can save all you want, but the truth of the matter is you can't always foresee what will happen in the upcoming months and years. We thought we were financially secure. We saved for years, only to lose our good insurance and Ben's job ( as well as my job).
- People love you. I hadn't realized just how many people have love in their hearts for us and for Logan. I am blown away by the generosity of so many kind friends.
- Baby showers are fun. Especially when they're for YOUR KID :)
- When two pregnant women go out in public together, people's minds are blown. I don't know why.
- You will bump into things in the middle of the night. My belly has hit numerous walls, and I've just  learned to not be surprised by it.
- Maternity clothes are expensive, ugly, and no fun.
- Pizza tastes a lot better when you are pregnant.
- So does anything with tomato sauce.
- The nesting thing is no joke. I have organized Logan's room more times than I can count.
- Nosebleeds are really nothing to worry about, they just come with the territory.
- Do NOT take men into Babies R Us. They will grumble and not be very helpful.
- Everyone will have an opinion about your life. Suddenly your work decisions, your finances, your relationships, even what kind of diapers you will use become everyone's business.
- You cannot please everyone. Make the decision that is best for YOUR family.
- You will realize that while you miss your cute body, this new one you're sporting is so much more special. The weight gain isn't generally something you will care about.
-You will NOT SLEEP. Ever. I know everyone says to sleep before the baby comes, but it just doesn't work. There will be one million things on your mind at all times.
- Having a child can mature you, if you let it. Ben and I have made some major life decisions as a result of Logan. These can be good.
- You will feel really overwhelmed at times. You may not think you can do something of this magnitude.
- Lastly, you will never be alone, even if it feels like it. God is watching over Logan all the time, and I trust that my boy will be healthy and strong. I am elated that I will get to meet him so soon.
Happy March, everyone!

4 comments:

Mrs said...

"-Do NOT take a man to Babies R US . . . " Hysterical!

Love this so much, Angela. Ahhh! It's March!

Raquel said...

This was great! :)

Unknown said...

This is beautiful. I love the photo, too!
I drove by your house today (on my way to a piano lesson) and I seriously almost stopped by. I figured I shouldn't drop in unannounced, but I sure wish I would have!

agable said...

Aw, you are always welcome, Jessie!