Monday, June 29, 2009

A Dress

My best friend is getting married in November and she has kindly asked me to be one of her bridesmaids, which I am more than happy to do. She has picked a gorgeous black satin tea length dress from White House Black Market that I honestly would love to wear again. We went to the store today so I could buy mine (I wanted her to be there so I wouldn't accidentally purchase the wrong dress) and I faced a dilemma. I didn't know what size to buy. The wedding is in November, and well, I was hoping to be pregnant by then, in which case I have no idea what size I would be. So I felt a little foolish when I bought the dress a size too big. My friend asked me why I was doing this. I told her, but I felt a little embarrassed. She's been by my side for the entire two years of struggling, but I felt like maybe I was just wishfully thinking and that she could tell. I realized that so many of my plans and decisions are based on a baby that may never get here. I don't go shopping anymore because I don't know what size I will be in a few months. I am being silly. I wonder if I should have just bought my normal size and not given in to my unwavering hope.

4 comments:

Mrs said...

I say, get your normal size! Even if you were pregnant by then you wouldn't be showing much. Know what I mean? You'd have MAYBE a bump.

Corryn said...

Does your friend need a wedding photographer? ;)

agable said...

I will certainly ask! You are a great one :)

About Me said...

My cousin was 2 months pregnant for my wedding and her normal dress size was squeezing her in two. Since you don't know if you'll be pregnant or how big you will be, I would say get this dress in your regular size. If you're pregnant you may not be able to wear the dress at all! Then you might need a whole different one! Anyway, just my opinion. Good luck with the dress and I'm praying for your future baby!