Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day

 Ann Voskamp's words jumped out at me this afternoon. As I was browsing her blog, I read the following: 
How better to prefer God over the gift — than to thank Him regardless of whether circumstances feel like a gift? 

Wow. These words in and of themselves are a gift to me. 

To the untrained eye, it looks like times are tough. There are bills to pay. Food to buy. Hours being cut back. Moving to be done. Yet I am not shaken. I have peace. I keep thanking God for the coffee that I get to drink every morning, the food in my belly, the roof over my family's heads. We are together, we are safe, we are fed, we are happy. And that has got to make me some sort of emotional millionaire. Sure, it would be nice to see things improve. And they will. I know that in my heart. But what blows my mind is that I am much happier now than I was two years ago when we both had jobs, when things were easier. I am living my dream in a way. I get to spend all day, every day with my child. I get to be the one to teach him, to feed him, to show him that life is beautiful. I am closer to God than I have ever been. I am thankful. I am seeing the good in everything. I am continuously surprised at how my heavenly father is providing for us. In many ways, I am very, very wealthy. 

Today I am especially thankful to be an American. I live in a wonderful country, filled with beauty and opportunity. I take this for granted a lot, but I am thankful for this Independence Day. It's just another reminder of how blessed I really am.  
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello from Paris!
I'm thankful for YOU! :D