That is my goal for the rest of this year: to simply choose joy. Regardless of circumstances, regardless of the negativity in this world. If you don't know me personally and you have simply stumbled upon this blog, you probably think I am a pretty chipper individual. I frequently type up random thankful lists and take pictures of sunsets and ice cream cones and talk about how wonderful life is. Here's the thing: life really is that wonderful, if we choose to see it that way. It's actually a lot of work for me to be joyful. I am cynical, pessimistic, and a worrier. Or should I say I WAS all of those things. Not so much anymore. Every single day, I CHOOSE to see the joy, the beauty that God has placed in my life. I do not want my son to see me as a bitter old lady, always seeing the negative side of things. I want my legacy to be that I was able to bring JOY to those around me, that I was a little bit of light to someone.
My heart is often heavy. I come from a colorful home. I say colorful because my memories growing up are still raw, and though I am an adult with a darn near perfect family of my own, I still sometimes feel like an anxious little girl just waiting for the other shoe to drop. God has healed so many of my wounds, and I owe Him my all for the new woman He has transformed me into. But He's not finished with me yet. When circumstances beyond my control creep in, tempting me into my old pattern of worry, I choose joy. Even if it seems silly, even if I look like an airhead to the outside world. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that my God has put a new song in my heart. When I am on a walk with my boys and I see a pretty bird fly by, I add it to the list of reasons to be joyful. When we're in the store and someone tells me how cute my kid is (and they are correct!), I have another reason to see joy. Joy is everywhere. REALLY!
Thank you to everyone who has been praying for me this past week (you know who you are ;). Happy Saturday, friends.
1 comment:
I love you! I dreamt about you the other night. All good. :)
Miss you!!
Post a Comment