Monday, February 23, 2009
Friends
A good friend is a wonderful thing. I am so thankful for mine. This weekend I was reminded just how special a friendship can be. I was having a not so great weekend. I went on Saturday to buy a baby shower gift for a really sweet young woman that I have known for a number of years. She deserves all of the happiness in the world. I couldn't go to her shower. It just wouldn't have been healthy. But I decided I would buy her a little gift and then ask my mother-in-law to give it to her at the shower. I bought her a book. Books aren't usually too hard. Clothes are the worst. I cannot buy baby clothes. I had a hope chest full of cute clothes for "someday" and I recently gave them all to Goodwill. I just couldn't look at them anymore. I don't know who I was fooling by saving all of that stuff. So anyway, I bought a book of baby signs because she wanted it and also because it seemed pretty neutral. I thought I was safe. I rewarded myself by getting a tea from Starbucks. They messed up my order and gave me something else. I kindly pointed out that this was not my order. They changed it to something else, also not my order. I started crying. No lie. I was so embarrassed for crying over this stupid cup of tea. I didn't care about the tea. Anyway, the next day after church, my good friend Emily, who was home for the weekend from LA, came by and we had coffee together. I can't tell you how much this meant to me. I have known Em since she was four and I was seven. We have been through a lot together. We didn't really talk about babies, but she made it clear that she supports me and has my back even if I occasionally cry over a stupid cup of tea. I love having a friend that not only accepts me as I am, but also makes me feel like a million bucks. Everyone should have a friend as awesome as Em.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Isn't that just like your Abba Daddy to send Em at THIS time, when your heart needed it the most? I'm so thankful!
You were missed at the shower, but I completely understand. I saw the gift you gave and thought it was so neat! I know Christina felt your love.
I'm so glad God sent you a love note in the form of Em! There's nothing like a close friend!
Thanks for the birthday card. It was so sweet, and I loved the design! :)
Post a Comment